Mulberry
Thursday, April 26, 2012

  Sweetly Raw: Vegan Mulberry Granola Bars

I've been making more granola bars lately. J loves to bring granola bars to work for a snack so I prefer to make them rather than buy them. While his favorite is my tried and true peanut butter chocolate chip granola bars, I still like to experiment.

Here's a great chewy vegan granola bar that we like. I have a big bag of purple mulberries that have been sitting in my cupboard for months. I absolutely love mulberries, purple and white, but have never used them in granola bars before so it was a fun way to use them. Purple mulberries, coconut, seeds, and mini dark chocolate chips in an oatmeal bar. It can only mean a tasty snack! Give em' a try. They freeze well too.


Vegan Mulberry Granola Bars

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup oat or quinoa flour
1/3 cup purple or white mulberries
1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons dried shredded coconut
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
2 1/2 tablespoons quinoa flakes
1/4 teaspoon himalayan salt
1 flax egg*
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

*Flax egg - 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit a few minutes.

Set oven to 350F.
Stir together all dry ingredients in a bowl.
In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix together.
Firmly press the mixture into a greased 8x8" pan.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden. Cool and slice.
Store in the fridge for 7-10 days.


Here's a creation that magically came to be last week. I don't have a recipe - yet! -  but I plan on trying it again so I can get it down on paper.

I had leftover raw vanilla cream from the filled chocolates so decided to mix it with some coconut butter thinking it would turn into a thick yummy spread. I guess my ratio of coconut butter was high because after chilling in the fridge for just a few hours they turned very firm. More like a firm fudge. I mixed goji berries and cacao nibs into it. I like the chew of the berries and crunch of the nibs. Delicious!
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
January 2012 / February 2012 / March 2012 / April 2012 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]